Five Questions: Newley Purnell
1. Why do you blog?
I blog mostly because it’s fun. I enjoy communicating with friends, family, and other readers who happen upon my site. I’ve always enjoyed writing and observing and providing commentary on what I see happening around me, and blogging allows me to do that very simply and easily.
2. Which author and/or book has most influenced you?
Richard Ford. Reading his book The Sportswriter, which I first encountered three years ago, was a revelatory experience. Ford, better than anyone else out there, captures the essence of what it’s like to be an American man.
3. Which three blogs do you most visit?
1. Jason Kottke at: http://kottke.org/ (media, news, books, film, technology, journalism – he covers it all)
2. BoingBoing at: http://boingboing.net/ (all about the intersection of technology and culture)
3. Gridskipper at: http://gridskipper.com/ (the urban travel blog; I’m a contributor)
4. Why do you read fiction?
5. What makes you laugh?
George Bush’s 37% approval rating. King George will one day be regarded as one of the worst presidents in US history. The American people are now reaping what we sowed. We elected this clown not once but twice; we utterly deserve him.
Newley Purnell blogs at Newley Purnell, which can be found here: http://newley.com/